Monday, September 5, 2011

Howdy Beijing!


Peter's Tex Mex

Yesterday we went to Beijing to go to BICF with Dr. Ana, Josh, and two visitors from Canada.  Afterward, we got our western food fix at Peter's Tex Mex! Being the only one from this great state among the group, they insisted we stop for a picture.  The food was amazing and I think we all got something with cheese in it! The afternoon was spent bargain hunting at Hangzhou.  Since Dr. Ana has a relationship with many of the vendors, they give her good deals without the hassle of bartering!

My family (especially Sam) would be proud to know I have been eating spicy food.  A native intern here loves to cook and the part of the country he is from likes their dishes especially hot.  I try to avoid the flakes of red pepper, drink lots of water, and usually wash it down with a creamy Magnum bar.  I guess you could say, I'm broadening my horizons.  PTL that my stomach is somehow surviving. 

Speaking of food... today at lunch, Wendy was passing around some kind of dark goop that she insisted we try.  Jewel explained to me that it was a delicacy and she had bought it as a birthday gift for Clay.  I am not an adventurous eater at all and was ready to flee the table yet out of cultural respect, I took a small sample.  It wasn't too awful but I tried not to smell it. Wendy and Stacey did not know how to say it in English so I decided to look it up online but maybe it would have been better not to know... thanks to google, I found out I had eaten THIS.  Oh my, just another day at Shepherd's Field. 

A while back I said to stay tuned for ways in which you can be a part of what I am doing here at Shepherd's Field.  Well, I met with Tim and am super excited to share an opportunity with you soon!

Nap time is over in the houses so I'm off to see the kids!

Macy- my cuddle bug

Zai Jian!

2 comments:

  1. Mollie, so glad that you are relishing all that China has to offer. Your recent blog had me chuckling and Lance wanted to know what was so funny. I told him about your experience with preserved eggs. You'll be glad to know that I have eaten them on many occasions ( usually as an accompaniment to porridge) and have survived without any Ill effects!
    Thanks for your updates, hope you continue having a wonderful time, and know that we love and miss you.
    Mrs. W

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mollie...it is amazing to hear about all you are getting to do there. I am praying for you and I LOVE you and miss you!!!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete